Friday 25 January 2013

What to do about the Visible Panty Line?

Speed blog by Sarah Farraway

 
I will confess to being a long-time lover of the G-string. Obsessed as I am with the dreaded VPL and fond as I am of a nice pair of tailored trousers - the G-string has been my friend for many a year. Probably since the night my father suggested I go knickerless under my skirt for the school disco to avoid a case of VPL. He thought it was unsightly. I was 15 - and aghast. I had visions of being the ‘girl with no knickers’ for the rest of my school days, of pimply teenage boys hanging around like flies. I wore the knickers, put up with the VPL and bought my first G-string soon after.
 
I always found them comfortable but my adventures in G-string land have caused some embarrassment. There was the time I left my favourite black cotton Bendon G-string at my friends’ grandparents house after staying there with her. They sent it back to us in the mail with a note saying they weren’t sure what it was but thought it probably belonged to one of us.  This was 15 years ago and I saw them two months ago at her wedding and even though they are now very elderly and have dementia, they chuckled as they remembered me as ‘the G-string girl’.
 
Or the time my girlfriend decided it would be hilarious to wear my (admittedly very tiny) candy-pink coloured G-string as an eye patch at a dinner party we were hosting, when I had a crush on one of our male guests and was trying to impress him.
 
But I had a baby last year and sad as this is to admit, my bottom is NOT the same. Its not round and perky like it used to be and it just doesn’t look - or feel - good in a G-string anymore.  So I tried developing a fondness for the ‘big knicker’.....but still there’s the VPL problem.  Even the ones that go right under your bottom leave a line across your thigh. I am a daggy full-time mum these days and can’t be bothered to wear a bra most days but I still have standards!
 
So my solution ladies, which I’m sure you’ve all tried, is the French knicker, with their cut across the middle of your bottom. I love them. They look beautiful and even though they sound like a VPL nightmare, if you get them in a delicate enough lace or other material, they don’t show - at all. And the best bit is I chuck them in my front-load washing machine on a delicate cycle and they come out good as new.
 
But I do suggest being discerning about who you get dressed in front of.  As I walked around my bedroom in a lovely pair of pale-green lace French knickers recently, my 9-year-old stepson laughed and said “Sarah, your undies don’t fit, your bottom’s hanging out”. Charming.
 
Sarah Farraway is living and studying in Sydney while raising a newborn and three stepchildren.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! This made me laugh so much!

    I have to admit to not wearing g-strings much anymore, I just can't be bothered and find them a bit uncomfortable. I wear jeans most days and swear by my trusty Bonds Hipster Boyleg (which incidentally have been called Hipster longer than the Hipsters of the inner west...) in black. My mum sends me a new care package to London every year or so.

    ReplyDelete

NuffnangX